Your Canadian passport is the passport issued to citizens of Canada by the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada Passport Program (IRCC) which allows the holder to freely exit and return to Canada.
With your Canadian passport, you can travel to and from other countries in accordance with visa requirements and in case of need or danger when you are abroad, your Canadian passport will help you get help or protection from Canadian consular officers.
Canadian passports are normally valid for 5 to 10 years for people 16 and older and 5 years for children under 16. Upon expiration, you must request a renewal of your Canadian passport, otherwise you will not be allowed to leave or re-enter Canada.
Whether you are in Canada or abroad when your passport has expired, you can renew your Canadian passport by following the steps explained in this article.
You can renew your passport in 5 steps. These steps include filling out an application form, providing references and paying fees.
1. Complete the Application Form
You can download a copy of the adult passport application form from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). If your old passport contains a visa that you wish to keep, be sure to check the corresponding box in section 2 of your passport application form.
If you go to a Canada Post location, you can get a free application form and for a fee, you can use their passport review service.
You must follow a different application process if you are applying for a child’s passport renewal.
If you are applying for the renewal of a child’s passport, you must follow various application processes.
You cannot renew your child’s passport, you must apply for a new one and you must ensure that all the required documents are ready before applying.
You can only apply for a child’s passport if you are one;
- 1 of the child’s parents
- the custodial parent if the parents are separated or divorced
- all documents (including any divorce decree) referring to the custody, mobility or access of the child
- the child’s legal guardian, with the correct documentation
- all legal documents proving the legal guardianship of the child by the applicant must be presented.
Each parent or legal guardian must sign the application form. We can contact the other legal guardian or parent.
The forms you need to fill out may differ depending on where you are applying.
2. Prepare Passport Photos and Include Your Old Passport
In your application, you must include your old passport and 2 identical passport photos.
Your reference must include 2 people who have known you for at least 2 years.
Important note: Most family members are not allowed to be references when renewing your passport.
4. Submit Your Application and Pay the Fees
Submit your Application in person
You can submit your application in person at a passport office or a receiving agent (Service Canada or Canada Post).
Application fees vary depending on certain factors, such as whether you are applying in Canada or abroad, your age and other factors.
You can pay for your application by credit card, debit card, or with a certified cheque or money order. Receiving agents can accept cash payments in exact change.
- If you pay your fees by certified check or money order, they must be made payable to the “Receiver General for Canada“.
- If you are applying from outside Canada, check with your local Government of Canada passport office to see what types of payments they accept.
- Someone else can submit your request for you, but you must include a letter saying that you allow them to do so. In addition, they will not be allowed to pay the application fees with a debit card.
5. Collect your Passport
If you made your Application in person, you may be given a Pickup date when you submit your application. You can also request to receive your new passport by mail. Someone else can retrieve your document, but they must present a letter signed by you giving them permission to do so and present valid ID for themselves.
If you applied by mail, your new passport and other documents will be mailed to the address you provided on your request.